Who we are
Sikhula Sonke ECD is a community-based organisation with a mandate to meet the need for quality early childhood development interventions in Khayelitsha. Early childhood development is defined as the:
“processes by which children from birth to nine years grow and thrive physically, mentally, emotionally, morally and socially.” (Education White Paper March 1995)
Our vision is that every child in Khayelitsha has the opportunity to develop to his or her full potential in a safe, stimulating and loving environment.
We see the parents, care-givers, community members and pre-school teachers in Khayelitsha being trained and supported to provide such an environment.
beliefs that guide the work we do
- We believe that all children have the right to be loved, cared for and developed physically, intellectually, emotionally, morally and socially.
- We believe that women are uniquely placed to protect and enforce the rights of children - and that women need to be supported, encouraged, and equipped with the necessary skills to do so.
- We believe that by nurturing and building our children, we nurture and build our nation.
- We believe that all parents and caregivers of young children should be knowledgeable about early childhood development so that they can play an active role in nurturing and enhancing the development of the children in their care.
- We believe that our united efforts will significantly and positively impact on the future of our young children and afford them the opportunity to realise their potential, and in so doing, to secure the future of our country.