We also wanted to invest in the Practitioners who serve our children each day and give them tools and time to connect with others, as well as encouragement for all that they do every day for our children!
The venue for both days was Masibabambane Lovelife Youth Center, located in Harare Square, Khayelitsha (opposite the Sikhula Sonke offices).
* Sikhula Sonke ECD
* Khayelitsha ECD Forum
* Department of Social Development
* City of Cape Town
* Health Department
* Land Use Management Department
* Fire Department
* Western Cape Service Providers Forum
The day started at 08h00 and concluded at 16h30. This was a great opportunity to connect with representative of all these organisations, and to ask questions, find out ECD practical requirements and network with other principals. Over 50 principals attended, well-hosted by our excellent team of Sikhula Sonke staff.
The following day, we hosted Khayelitsha’s ECD practitioners at an exciting day of learning, discussion and workshops. Attendees were given the opportunity to invest in their teaching skills and connect with other teachers and caregivers during the day.
* Think Twice - building children with a sense of self-worth
* ELRU - the value of storytelling
* Nal’ibali - literacy development simplified
* Persona Dolls - and their place in learning
* Toy-making made easy
* Foundation for Community Work (FCW)
* Funda Udlale - a toy library resource for all
In addition, each of the sixty attendees was given a box of ECD resources to take home, as well as an A3 laminated poster that they could use to help children with learning numbers, writing, understanding emotions and learning about weather and seasons.